Homecoming Alumni Band 2016
It’s an exciting time for the Mighty Sound of Maryland! The Maryland Band’s very own Eli Osterloh is leading the MSOM, the endowment fund is well on its way, and now it’s time for Homecoming and Alumni Band!
New for 2016 - IMPORTANT CHANGES
- New Coach — D.J. Durkin is here to turn our football program around. Homecoming will be his Maryland Big Ten debut game, so bring the entire family!
- New Stadium Name — Just to prevent any confusion, Byrd Stadium is now officially called “Maryland Stadium”.
- Clear Bag Policy — You can no longer bring purses, diaper bags, camera bags, or backpacks into Maryland Stadium. Please see the new bag policy for details on what is allowed.
- Truck Changes — Starting this year, the marching band will truck to — but not into — the stadium. The logistical problems of getting around the track was making it difficult for the kids to enjoy the pregame experience, so they devised a new intro for themselves. Alumni band will follow suit; we will truck to the stadium, then get inside and in place before the the band's big entrance.
- Marchers-Only on the Field — Big Ten policy states that everyone on the field/track must have a reason to be there. That means we are not allowed to bring our kids through the tunnel anymore. Kids can still truck down, but cannot go into the stadium through the tunnel. Apparently, Big Ten has Enforcement Officers to patrol the field for everyone's safety. Hopefully we can find a better solution in future years.
- Dancers — There are a few changes to your routine, which are specified in the "Homecoming Details" section. Please make sure check through all the changes on this website, as they apply to you as well.
- MUSIC CHANGES — The tunes are the same, but there are some changes to the arrangements: (1) Chapel Chimes has some forte pianos; (2) Battle Hymn has four additional measures to allow the students enought time to get to their places (the band is so big they had to rework some of the formations); (3) Saxes in Battle Hymn now double the KAOS parts in certain sections; (4) Star Spangled Banner is back in its original place, so we will be playing it again; (5) Crown Imperial, before the "ONE!", the part has been rewritten rhythmically, but still sounds the same. IF YOU PLAN TO PLAY, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ATTEND THE MUSIC REHEARSAL. Music will be made available for download before Homecoming.
- Salute to Visiting Team — After Maryland, My Maryland and before block and mess, the band will pay tribute to the visiting team, and play the Purdue fight song. Whether we play or stand fast is TBD, but the music will be available for download, just in case.
- Easy Endowment Support — You can help raise money for UMBAO and the L. Richmond Sparks Mighty Sound Of Maryland Fund just by participating in Homecoming! This will be an Alumni Association “Incentive Event”. If the Alumni Band has 25 or more alumni graduates spanning at least four decades, UMBAO will be eligible to receive an incentive bonus from the Alumni Association. It’s that easy — and no checkbook required!
- More Easy Endowment Support — Thinking about joining the Alumni Association? Need to renew your membership If you sign up at Alumni Band, we could earn another incentive bonus from the Alumni Association. We are looking into the details now, so if you can wait another month to join or renew, please do — you could help us earn another bonus!
Alumni Band Registration
Online registration is now closed.
If you did not register already but would like to still participate in homecoming, you can still sign-in at the door. But you must pay the full dues ($48 for individuals, $83 for couples) plus a $10.00 late registration surcharge. And you unfortunately will not be guaranteed a shirt or tailgate meal as we’ll have very limited extras available. Please make sure to wear a red shirt.
- Game Day — Saturday, October 1st, 2016, Maryland vs. Purdue.
- Game Time — 3:30 pm. Please see the current sign-in and rehearsal schedule in the sidebar.
- Dancers — There are a few changes to the procedure: (1) Alumni will be permitted to truck with the dance team or alumni band, but will NOT perform at the President's house; (2) Alumni dance team could possibly dance at the alumni center tailgate, but that will be determined at practice in the morning; (3) Alumni are not permitted to have children on the field - No exceptions; (4) For alumni dancing third quarter, fillers will be uploaded to the site. Please click here for more information and to register for Homecoming.
- Instruments — The MSOM is huge, around 280 kids this year. The Band Office can provide a limited number of percussion, sousaphones, trombones, mellophones, tenor saxes, clarinets, flutes/pics, and flags. If you need anything else, please do your best to beg, borrow, or steal an instrument. (Please don’t actually steal an instrument, we’re non-profit, and won’t be able to pay your legal fees!) SOUSAPHONES: Please try to bring your own neck and bits as they are in short supply!
- Poms — Dancers will have the option to buy Poms this year for $30 a pair (limited number available). Please see the Dancer registration for more details.
- Music — Sheet music will be available to download if you want to practice ahead of time. Details will be sent out to registered alumni closer to game day. The band office is running low on flip folders, so please bring yours along if you have one collecting dust.
- Dress — Please wear blue jeans and comfortable shoes. Our annual shirt style this year is TBD. If you register at the door, please check here first to determine what color shirt to wear as a backup.
- Pre-Game — We will be marching pre-game only. If you plan to march pre-game, you must attend the morning field rehearsal. Remember, the routine has changed, so you cannot rely on your old routine.
- Tunnel — Only performing Alumni Band members will be allowed through the tunnel at Maryland Stadium. Everyone else must have a ticket and enter through a gate.
- Tailgate — Since the game is at a wonderful 3:30, we'll provide lunch for all participating alumni. The Athletic Department has strongly emphasized that they will not allow any drinking in the tunnel, and will kick-out anyone (or everyone) in the Alumni Band if someone is caught drinking in the tunnel or "appears intoxicated". So please don’t break out those Natty Bohs until after the Truck back!
- Marching — Want to enjoy Alumni Band without the work? You can march to the stadium and play in the stands. You don’t have to march pre-game if you prefer to watch. Once we enter the stadium, you will need to get into the stands quickly.
- 5th Quarter — After each game, the MSOM takes the field and plays a mini-concert before trucking back to The Clarice (CSPAC). We are invited to watch prior to our own step-off back to The Clarice (CSPAC).
- Trucking Back — It was such a success the past couple years, we’re doing it again! We will line up on the concourse after the 5th Quarter, and truck back to The Clarice (CSPAC). Short, flat, and no double-timing!
- Baby Carriage Brigade — Strollers are not allowed in the tunnel, stadium track, or stands. There is a stroller check-in option near Gate H (outside of Tyser Tower) if you want to truck with the band and check-in your stroller. Only Alumni Band members are allowed on the field/track, so children will have to have tickets and enter through the regular stadium entrance. Maryland Stadium also has a new clear bag policy, so diaper bags are no longer allowed.
- Tickets — If you march in the Alumni Band, you do not have to buy yourself a game ticket. But your friends and family will still need a ticket to enter the stadium (purchased through us or the Maryland ticket office).
- Parking — There is plenty of parking on the shoulders of Route 193 near the Stadium Drive entrance. If you want to park on campus, you can now obtain a parking permit in advance online. For more information on game day parking, see the campus football parking site.
- Best Section Turn-out Plaque — Show the world that your section had the best turn-out with an engraved space on our “Alumni Band’s Best Represented Section” plaque.
What You Get For Your Dues
- Participation in Homecoming
- Annual alumni band shirt
- Saturday pre-game tailgate
- Social time with your band alumni friends
- A chance to relive Maryland Band history
- Note: Late/door registrations are not guaranteed to a shirt or tailgate meal (we’ll have very limited extras available)
What the Band Gets For Your Dues
- Financial support for scholarships, uniforms, instruments, and more
- Appreciation for Alumni
Remember - It's not about the Team. It's about the Band!!